“Did you get that report done? Let’s speed it up! There’s an angry customer who wants to talk to you. At this time, we are not financially able to give you a raise.” Does this sound familiar? How did this make you feel-stressed?We all have stress in our lives. Stress from work, stress from home, stress about our bodies and health, stress about our finances, etc. But how we deal with that stress is the key. When you let that stress build up and fester, serious health conditions can arise such as high blood pressure, ulcers, and heart conditions.
To combat stress, you may start smoking, drinking alcohol, using recreational drugs, shopping, or gambling to help you get through the day, certain problems, or to get your mind off things. But this is not the answer. It can only lead to more and more problems. So the answer is to come up with different methods or strategies to help you in relieving some of your stress.
Here are several stress-relief ideas.
- Do not procrastinate. Procrastinating will give you more stress than you currently have when the deadline looms.
- Take a moment to breathe in and out several times. This allows your brain to have time to take in the problem, clear your head, and then come up with a solution. Saying what pops into our minds first may not be the most PC thing.
- If you are feeling overwhelmed about the amount of work that you have, start with the little things and then tackle the bigger stuff. Doing the smaller things first will give you a feeling of accomplishment and will motivate you into tackling the bigger projects.
- Have a stress ball. Squeeze it several times with each hand. This gives you an outlet for some of your stress.
- Take a short break.
- Do some relaxing stretches to relieve some of the muscle tension in your shoulder and back.
- Call someone and vent. Sometimes all that we need is for someone to listen to us.
- Close your eyes and do some meditation or think relaxing thoughts.
- Talk to your supervisor about your concerns or problems.
I hope some of these ideas help. If not and you have tried everything you could think of, maybe the work you do is just not worth it.