MEANING. The digestive system of a man sometimes functions in a ridiculous manner. It may or may not absorb all the nutrients. But, funnily, our digestive system loves to absorb fatty fast and junk foods thoroughly, which is the major cause for digestive disorders and obesity.
However, there is a peculiar digestive disorder known as ‘Celiac disease’, which is mostly rampant in United States. Here, the system is unable to absorb the gluten, a common term for group of proteins. It is commonly found in wheat, rye, oats and barley. After sugar, it is the second most consumed ingredient.
Celiac disease is a digestive disorder that causes adverse reactions for the system to react to gluten. Gluten is a dreaded word for celiac patients. Here, the intake of gluten diet causes a severe damage to small intestines.
In majority of the cases, celiac disease is passed on from generation to generation. It runs in the family. If one of the family members is suffering from this disease, chances are other members are likely to be prone to this ailment. Other factors like severe stress, physical injury, infection or surgery can trigger off this disease.
Celiac disease is caused by an abnormal reaction to gliadin, a gluten protein found in wheat. This exposure of gliadin causes an inflammatory reaction, which leads to flattening of the lining the small intestines.
Although celiac disease can affect anyone, it tends to be more common in people of European descent and people with disorders caused by a reaction of the immune system such as:
- Lupus erythematosus
- Type one diabetes
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Autoimmune thyroid disease
Celiac disease is a multi-system and multi-symptom disease. They can show many signs amongst children and adults.
Children related symptoms
- Abdominal pain
- Diarrhea, even bloody diarrhea
- Inability to grow in height
- Failure to gain weight
- Lack of appetite
- Mouth sores
- Behavioral disorders
- Hair loss
- Bloated abdomen
- Dental enamel defects
Adults Related Symptoms
- Lactose intolerance
A person seeking preliminary diagnosis must be consuming gluten. The following are the different diagnosis parameters to deter whether the patient is celiac or not.
- Blood tests
- Bowel biopsy
- Skin biopsy
- Genetic tests
Drug intervention has not been very successful in healing inflammation of the intestines, which are prone to gluten foodstuff. The only treatment, which has been successful, till date, is gluten free diet. Now days, gluten free products are available with proper labels and packaging at various super market stores.
Case studies have proven the fact that patients adopting gluten free diet is showing speedy recovery of their health. However, in case of ailments resulting out of nutrients deficiency, make sure to consult your physician to correct these deficiencies, before going on gluten free diet.
Not only that, celiac disease patients should have medical follow-up to monitor the clinical response to the gluten-free diet.
DIET FOR CELIAC PATIENTS
Of late, there are hardly any long-term medical treatments for celiac patients. The only treatment for successful cure of celiac disease is by following a gluten free diet pattern.
Once you are diagnosed with celiac ailment, the next step is to follow the strict diet patterns prepared by qualified dietician. He or she will guide you the perfect gluten free diet products and supplements available in the grocery stores.
Living on gluten free diet is a lifelong and challenging commitment. It can help you to live a normal and healthy life. If you fail to follow this gluten free diet pattern, chances are you will further ruin your digestive system.
WHAT IS GLUTEN-FREE DIET?
In simple words, it means not consuming food products prepared from grains like wheat, oats, barley and rye.
With the food processing industry growing like never before, where there are varieties of gluten free bread and pastas being available these days. These stores stock special gluten free labels on the food package. They make special mention with regards to preparation of food starch, preservatives and stabilizers.
If you are a celiac patient, make sure that you are acquainted with the following tips:
- Acquaint yourself to read food labels, to find out whether it contains gluten or not.
- Get acquainted with the list of gluten free food products.
- Learn delicious recipes with gluten alternatives.
- If you are dining out, find out which restaurant serves special menu for celiac patients.
- To help you to be adaptable with gluten-free diet, seek the help of special support groups particularly for celiac patients.
BASIC FOOD STUFFS FOR CELIAC PATIENTS
- Flours of corn, rice, chickpeas, buckwheat, arrowroots, potatoes and tapiocas.
- You can try out all kinds of plain meat, fish, chicken, legumes, nuts, seeds, oils, milk, cheese, eggs, fruits, and vegetables.
- For fluids, opt for fruits and vegetable juices, grounded coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, wine, rum and cognac.
TRY TO AVOID THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS WHEN YOU ARE DETECTED WITH CELCIAC.
- Beer and alcohol products
- Brown rice syrup, cake flour, caramel color
- Creamed or breaded vegetables
- Dry roasted nuts
- Fried chicken
- French fries, if coated in wheat flour
- Gravies and sauces prepared from tomato and meat
- Salad dressings
- Some herbal teas and flavored coffees
- Soup mixes and canned soups
- Soft cheeses, and dips
- Stuffings and thickeners
- Wheat free bakery products
- Yogurts with wheat starch