Aloo bukhara (or Plums) is a very nutritious and healthy fruit. It is very juicy and tasty to eat. It is easily available in the market in the summer season .Good quality aloo bukhara are red, dark reddish black in color, fresh, firm and juicy. If eaten daily a person can enjoy various health benefits because it is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, trace elements and anti oxidants. Some of its health benefits are:
1. Boosts body immunity: Aloo bukhara are rich in antioxidants and beta carotene and therefore increases the body immunity. Beta carotene is one of the essential phyto nutrients which helps the body in fighting against cancer.
2. Delays aging changes: Aloo bukhara is an anti aging fruit, if eaten regularly, it slows down the process of aging, it enhances the capacity of brain to function for long and also boosts the power of mind and body. It provides relief from fatigue and weakness because of its rich source of various nutrients.
3. Beneficial for heart: This is very healthy fruit for heart. Aloo bukhara is rich in potassium and low in sodium, therefore it prevents water retention in the body and helps in normalizing the blood pressure. It has protective effect on heart by its property of reducing the level of bad cholesterol (LDL,VLDL and triglycerides) and increasing good cholesterol (HDL) levels in the blood. It protects the heart from the risk of cardio vascular diseases and thus is helpful in keeping the arteries and heart healthy. It is rich source of omega 6 fatty acids, amino acids and other unique phytonutrients, which are necessary for a healthy heart. It is a good source of vitamin K and prevents unnecessary blood clotting and thus protects from stroke( this is a condition when the cells of brain die due to lack of supply of oxygen and glucose, which occurs when the blood supply to the brain is suddenly cut off).
4. Beneficial for Skin: It helps in keeping the skin glowing and healthy. Aloo bukhara is a rich source of beta carotenes, vitamin A, vitamin C and antioxidants. If eaten daily it helps to keep the skin glowing, healthy, blemish free, soft and supple. It protects the skin from the harmful effects of ultra violet sun rays ( UV rays damage skin cells and can also cause skin cancer).
5. Beneficial for Diabetes: Aloo bukhara is very helpful in regularizing the blood glucose levels, because they are rich in soluble dietary fibers. Soluble dietary fibers delays the absorption of glucose in the blood. It protects against type 2 diabetes by boosting the insulin sensitivity in the body.
6. Helpful in women: It maintains proper haemoglobin levels in the blood, as it is a rich source of Iron and folic acid. It reduces the risk of premature menopause in women. It also helps in keeping the bones healthy and strong, by enhancing the secretion of enzymes and growth factors which are necessary for bone growth. It reduces the risk of osteoporosis (a condition of bones, when they become fragile and brittle due to deficiency of calcium, vitamin D3 or due to hormonal changes, which usually occur during and after menopause) after menopause.
7. Very good for nervous system: It boosts the functioning of nerves because it is rich in various minerals, antioxidants, chromium, potassium, vitamin A and C and thus delays health related problems due to old age.
8. Helpful in weight loss: Aloo bukhara is very rich in dietary fibers. They give feeling of fullness after eating, they also help in clearing of bowels. It helps in increasing the body metabolism and thus helpful to those, who are trying to lose weight.
9. Helps in improving eye sight: It is rich in antioxidants , vitamin A and C and beta carotene. It contains chromium, potassium, minerals and other nutrients, which are important for the eyes to remain healthy. They also prevent macular degeneration (macula is the central portion of the retina, which if damaged can cause blindness. Retina is the light sensitive nerve tissue at the back of the eye) in the eyes.
10. Very good for the digestive system: Daily eating of aloo bukhara improves the digestion and the appetite. 11. Rich source of magnesium: Because of this, it helps in the relaxation of muscles, nerves and blood vessels. It also helps in relieving headache, migraine (a type of headache usually affecting one side of the head and may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting) and muscle soreness. It is also helpful in the problems like, arthritis, osteoarthritis , rheumatoid arthritis, scanty urination and problems of the prostate glands. After knowing so many health benefits of eating aloo bukhara one must start eating this and other fruits and maintain good health. A normal healthy person can eat about 250-300 gms of aloo bukhara daily. Eating aloo bukhara in excess can cause problems due to gases and bloating in the stomach. Aloo bukhara must be avoided by the persons who are having kidney and gall bladder stones as they are rich in oxalates and can make their problem worse.