Tired mentally, physically, or both? Sleep is definitely the solution. But you don’t necessarily need eight straight hours of it. Remember, quality is better than quantity. So nodding off at noontime may be just what you need. Perfecting the power nap is a must, for students, workers, and even homemakers alike.
Top Benefits Of The Power Nap:
- Reduced stress
- Increased productivity
- Improved memory
- Boosts creativity
- Improved mood
- Lowered risk of heart disease
- Increased cognitive function
How To Get The Perfect Power Nap:
Of course, nothing beats your own bed. But with your daily demands, taking a nap at home may not always be possible. So here are some tips on taking the perfect power nap regardless of where you are.
1. Timing is everything. Because of your natural circadian rhythm, it has been proven that the best times to take a nap are in the morning or at noon. So put your lunch break to good use, have a quick bite and a short siesta as well.
2. Speaking of lunch, what you eat can play a role in getting the perfect power nap too. Foods high in calcium and protein help promote sleep.
3. What you don’t eat is probably just as important as what you do. Try to avoids foots that are high in fat and sugar and you probably wanna minimize your caffeine intake as well.
4. Placing is just as important, although there are some people who can sleep just about anywhere, it is really helpful to find a quiet and clean place to nap.
5. Darken the room you’re in if possible, draw the curtains and turn off the lights. If you can’t do that, an eye mask should do the trick.
6. Set your alarm. You don’t wanna doze off longer than you desire.
- Smell can be a big part of setting the perfect mood for sleep. If possible, use an aroma diffuser with lavender EO to help relax. Don’t have one? Check out the one by Inessence here.
Different Types of Power Naps:
- Duration: 10-20 seconds
There has been no scientific proof of whether or not the nano nap has any benefits. But there is no denying that when you doze off on the bus or whatnot, you do feel a bit better.
- Duration: 3-5 minutes
When you’re feeling a bit groggy, the micro nap has been known to help reduce sleepiness.
- Duration: 6-15 minutes
The mini nap has been known to make you more alert and have better all around performance.
- Duration: 20 minutes
The power nap is good for alertness and motor learning skills. It also puts you in a better mood and makes you feel more refreshed.
Slow Wave Sleep Nap
- Duration: 30-60 minutes
The slow wave sleep nap boosts memory and enhances creativity along with all the other benefits from the shorter types of naps.