Hypothyroidism is caused by the malfunctioning of the thyroid gland .Hypothyroidism is a common hormone deficiency. It is more common among females than in males. The basic symptoms of hypothyroidism are weight gain, dry skin and hair loss, intolerance to cold and puffy facial features. If hypothyroidism is left untreated, there is a risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, depression and migraine.How is Hypothyroidism Connected With Mind ?
Studies and survey indicate that adverse health effects occur with hypothyroidism. However, if treated the patient is expected to live a normal life. Hypothyroidism carries serious physical and mental risks for all ages. One of the side effects of hypothyroidism is depression.
1. Depression though a common side effect can be severe. Psychiatrists suspect that even sub-clinical hypothyroidism may cause depression. To hasten the recovery of a depressed patient, the doctors give thyroid hormone along with anti-depressants. Hypothyroidism is considered as a possible cause of chronic depression in older women.
2. Mental and behavioral Impairment – hypothyroidism that is untreated over a period of time can cause mental and behavioural impairment and eventually lead to dementia. The doctors are still uncertain whether treatment can completely reverse problems in memory and concentration.
Hypothyroidism has many symptoms of major depression. This includes forgetfulness, low energy and the inability to concentrate. In 1888, the Clinical Society of London had published the first report calling it myxedema. Hypothyroidism in the severe form can cause consciousness and even paranoia and hallucinations.
Alternative Treatments For Hypothyroidism
1. Ayurvedic medicine encompasses meditation, yoga, bodywork, aromatic oils, diet and medicinal herbs. This ancient form of healing stress on the mind and body connection
2. In naturopathy treatment ,the naturopaths use homeopathy, herbal medicines, acupuncture, nutrition therapy and body work.
3. The Chinese way of treatment is the acupuncture. Acupuncture has been used to treat most illness effectively. The studies reveal that acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicines are helpful in the cure of hypothyroidism. The organ that is treated is the kidney. The treatment involves long-term acupuncture and herbal medication.
4. Diet control or the nutritional therapy. Here the therapist puts the patient on certain food diets and exercises. They also prescribe what kind of food has to be taken and which one has to be avoided.