A number of physiological and metabolic changes that occur during pregnancy are responsible for pregnancy weight gain. Gaining adequate weight during pregnancy by eating a healthy balanced diet is very essential for well development of growing fetus. The diet during pregnancy should provide all nutrients that mother needs. Pregnancy weight gain is related to height weight and body mass index of pregnant mother.
The pregnancy weight gain happens as the baby grows, mother consumes good nutrients to serve the baby. Generally pregnant mother have to consume extra 100 to 300 more calories in order to serve the growing fetus.
Health care provider will tell how much weight the pregnant mother should gain during pregnancy. Pregnancy weight gain in normal mothers is nearly 9 to 10 kg. Mothers who are weak before pregnancy should increase the pregnancy weight gain than normal pregnant women. The mother who is obese before pregnancy should increase pregnancy weight gain by 3 to 4 kg. The medical advice is needed to maintain correct pregnancy weight gain.
Pregnancy weight gain is distributed as follow:-
* Baby – 8 pounds
* Placenta – 2 to 3 pounds
* Amniotic fluid – 2 to 3 pounds
* Breast tissue – 2 to 3 pounds
* blood supply – 4 pounds
* uterus growth – 2 to 5 pounds
* Increased fat in body – 5 to 9 pounds
* Total – 25 to 35 pounds.
Tips for weight maintenance:-
* Eat frequent but small diet with good nutrients.
* eat easy snacks on hand, nuts, raisins, cheese, crackers, dried fruit, and ice cream etc.
* Use pulses and grams in food as it provides adequate protein to the body.
* Milk and milk products can be used adequately as they provide most of the vital nutrients to the body and help in maintaining weight gain.
* Eat fiber rich diet to avoid constipation
* green leaf vegetables are very essential food for pregnant mother to have an ideal weight gain and to provide enriched nutrients to pregnant mother.
Increased pregnancy weight gain! what to do ?
If you have increased weight during pregnancy in the first trimester or early pregnancy stage, don’t try to reduce the weight by avoiding food. Back ache and drowsiness are the common problem with increased pregnancy weight gain. Use food with less fat and calories and use much green leaf vegetables to avoid further weight gain during pregnancy. Consult your doctor and ask him what all you can eat and in what quantities.