To reduce the risk of heart disease in patients without demonstrated disease, the American Heart Association recommends what they refer to as the Step I Diet.
THE STEP I DIET CONSISTS OF THE FOLLOWING: RECOMMENDATIONS:
- TOTAL FAT INTAKE: It is recommended that the calories obtained from fat should be no more than 30% of total calories.
- SATURATED FAT: Calories from saturated fat (sat fat) should be limited to 8-10% of total calories.
- POLYUNSATURATED FAT: Calories from Polyunsaturated fat can account for up to 10% of total calories.
- MONOUNSATURATED FAT: Calories from monounsaturated fat can be up to 15% of total calories.
- CARBOHYDRATES: Calories from carbohydrates should be 55% or more of total calories.
- PROTEIN: Calories from protein should be approximately 15% of total calories.
- CHOLESTEROL: Cholesterol intake should be limited to 300 mg per day.
- TOTAL CALORIES: Total calories should be the number of calories that would allow you to achieve and maintain a desired weight.
The following chart will allow you to estimate fat intake at selected levels of total calorie intake according to the Step I Diet:
|TOTAL CALORIES||TOTAL FAT (grams)||SATURATED FAT (gm)|
|1200||40 or less||11-13|
|1500||50 or less||13-17|
|1800||60 or less||16-20|
|2000||67 or less||18-22|
|2200||73 or less||20-24|
|2500||83 or less||22-28|
|3000||100 or less||27-33|