So you came to a decision to go on a “Diet”. You were probably really excited and motivated in following your diet when you first started. Now a few months have passed and you’re losing your focus and motivation. Here are some ways to keep yourself going.
- If you were keeping track of your weight loss, look at your starting weight. Then look at your current weight…realize how much you have already lost! Next look at your target weight and start a plan to get there. Don’t look at the number that you still want to lose. Instead, set smaller weekly goals that are less intimidating and more manageable. For instance, if you still want to lose 20lbs., set a goal for yourself of losing 1lb/week. Instead of thinking “I still need to lose 20lbs”, tell yourself “I need to lose 1lb. this week”. With this new mindset, you won’t be overwhelmed with what you still have to do.
- Talk to your friends and family who can motivate you. You don’t want to talk to anyone who will sympathize with you as you’re eating a gallon of ice cream…so talk to someone who can get you excited again about your goal.
- Join a gym. Sometimes we get bored with being in the same place. Being in a different environment where everyone is focused on exercise and health will motivate you too.
- Change up your routine. If you’re just going through the motions of exercise, you think of it as more of a chore to get through. Join a class or try something different to get your interest back into exercising.
- Try different foods. Never had an avocado? or Squash? Find some recipes that incorporates different types of food and experiment. It gets tiring eating the same foods over and over again.
- Join a weight loss group if you need that extra support. These places are great in keeping you accountable.
- Sit down and write down why you were dieting in the first place. If the reason why still applies…don’t give up. If you feel like you’ve fallen off the wagon, dust yourself off and just start again from that place. Don’t wait for tomorrow, or Monday, or next week. Start today.