Urinary incontinence is the uncontrolled, involuntary leakage of urine from the bladder. The bladder has contractive muscles called detrusor muscles. These muscles’ contraction leads to induce the urinary urge. The abnormality of bladder due to aging or other disease leads to involuntary leakage of urine form the bladder.
Causes of urinary incontinence:-
- Anatomical or physiological factors which alter the urinary bladder cause Urinary incontinence.
- Aging : The weakening of bladder associated with aging leads to urinary incontinence in some old age people .
- Injury to spinal cord : Neural damage to spinal cord loses the ability to control neural impulses which pass to bladder. This loss of neurological control to urinary bladder leads to urinary incontinence.
- Menopause and weakened pelvic muscles in women may cause Urinary incontinence.
- prostate surgery : in the males leads to urinary incontinence.
- Caffeine or medications such as cold medications also cause temporary urinary incontinence.
Urinary Incontinence in old age:-
Incontinence or Urinary incontinence is common in old age people. Due to aging process urinary bladder loses its capacity to regulate contraction and relaxation of bladder. This abnormality leads to leakage of urine.
Inability to control urinary urge, i.e. the person can’t hold the urine until he reaches toilet, is also termed as Urinary incontinence. Urinary incontinence trouble a lot in the night.
Urinary incontinence in women:-
Usually the normal individuals can hold urine for 3 to 4 hours. while the bladder loses it’s ability to control, the urine starts to leak involuntarily. Women are more sufferers from urinary incontinence, as they undergo changes such as aging, child bearing, menopause, etc. These physiological changes in women lead to urinary bladder weakness or bladder abnormality. so women are more prone to urinary incontinence after the age of 45 years. Most of the women neglect urinary incontinence and won’t get treatment at all. Only some women go for treatment.
Types of urinary incontinence:-
Stress incontinence : Increased abdominal pressure, over stress associated with phobia, and loss of urine during physical activity are related to stress incontinence.
Overflow incontinence : Constant dribbling of urine occurs and bladder is not emptied fully.
Urge incontinence : When the bladder fills beyond the limit, the urine starts to leak and there is urgent need to void involuntarily is called overflow incontinence.
Acute and Temporary urinary incontinence causes:-
* Child birth,
* Urinary tract infection
* Post surgical days
* Panic or phobias
* Medication side effect
* Limited mobility
Chronic incontinence causes:-
# Bladder muscle weakness
# Blocked urethra ( due to BPH – benign prostatic hyperplasia)
# Neurological disorder
# Birth defects
# Weakness of pelvic floor muscles
# Injury to brain or spinal cord
# Urethral prolapse
Don’t neglect urinary incontinence,get the proper pharmacological treatment.