Uterine rupture is the obstetrical problem or complication of pregnancy. injury to the continuum of events at the weak point of the uterus. Uterine rupture is normally noticed by the obstetrician or doctor while conducting Cesarean section. The tearing of uterus normal continuity and bleeding occurs from the site of uterine rupture.
* Uterine rupture usually occurs during early stage of labor.
* abnormal fetal heart rate indicates uterine rupture.
* uterine scar formed because of previous cesarean section increases the risk of uterine rupture.
* Uterine rupture in some mothers develop at the end stage of pregnancy.
* labor augmentation by use of oxytocin causes uterine rupture.
* abdominal pain and bleeding are the common symptoms.
* emergency care includes laparotomy and cesarean section
* administration of fluids and blood transfusion.
Risk factors and causes of uterine rupture:-
* Women who have had previous surgery of the uterus are at risk of uterine rupture.
* Uterine rupture occurs usually on upper muscular portion of uterus.
* Prior classical Cesarean sections, where the incision is done in upper uterus.
* incision extended through the full thickness of the uterine while removal of fibroid tumors of uterine wall,
* Uterine surgery which affects full depth of the muscular portion of the uterus wall also causes uterine rupture.
* Grand multi para, i.e. mother have given birth to more than four babies and become pregnant have risk of uterine rupture.
* Distended uterus in case of multiple pregnancy causes uterine rupture.
* Transverse position of baby,
* Use of labor inducing medications such as picotin, prostaglandins, also increases the risk of uterine rupture.
Treatment of uterine rupture:-
* Deliver the baby by means emergency cesarean section. hysterectomy is done if the damage to mother’s uterus is severe and the bleeding is not controlled. Otherwise, pregnant mother’s uterus can be repaired. The mother need blood transfusion as she loses excess blood during bleeding. Administer IV antibiotics to prevent infection.
* Recovery from the surgery takes more than a week.
* Take complete bed rest
* Follow up medical care and take medications properly.