- Vacuum extraction or ventouse is an instrumental device designed to assist delivery by creating vacuum between it and fetal scalp. The pulling force created by the vacuum, pulls the baby and and drags the skull of the baby.
- Vacuum delivery is the safest method of delivery or child birth.
- The vacuum extractor or ventouse consists of suction cup with four sizes, 30, 40, 50 and 60 Cm.
- A vacuum pump and traction rod device.
Indications of vacuum extraction:-
* deep transverse arrest with adequate pelvis,
* delay in the descent of high head in case of second baby of twins,
* alternative to forceps application,
* as an adjunct to symphysiotomy.
Advantages of vacuum extraction are:-
* vacuum extractor can be used with malroated occipito posterior position of the head.
* Vacuum extractor can be applied even with incompletely dilated cervix,
* Lesser taction force is needed in case of vacuum extractor.
* Requires less technical skill for vacuum extraction.
* Fetal complications with vacuum extraction are very less.
* there should not be slightest bony resistance below the head.
* cervix should be at least 6 cm dilated.
* careful application of vacuum pump is needed for safe child birth.
Complications of vacuum extraction:-
* superficial scalp abrasion,
* sloughing of the scalp,
* intracranial hematoma,
* retinal hemorrhage,
* subaponeurotic hemorrhage