An abnormal area of brain tissue anatomically or physiologically is called as brain lesion. The MRI scan shows the shadow area or abnormal image, which confirms, the brain lesions. The brain lesions may be formed as a blood clot, cerebral hemorrhage, etc.
MRI scan doesn’t confirms clear diagnosis of brain lesions and careful assessment is needed to diagnose brain lesions. Familial history of brain lesions is one of the risk factor for development of brain lesions. Mechanical or internal brain damage is also considered as brain lesion.
Researchers have confirmed that nearly 5 % of individuals who have brain lesions are prone to have heart holes, i.e. impaired closure of foreman ovale.
Causes of brain lesions
- Unstable blood pressure also causes white matter brain lesions.
- Previous head injury,
- Genetic mutation also causes brain lesions.
- Accumulation of death nerve cells also causes micro lesions in old age people.
- Head trauma with incomplete healing,
- Cerebral Stroke
- Brain tumors (benign or malignant)
- Internal cerebral hemorrhage,
- Multiple sclerosis
- Brain injury
- Congenital brain anomalies, such as hydrocephalus
Severe migraine headaches are caused because brain lesions. MRI scan of individuals with migraine headaches shows presence of brain lesions. The early detection and treatment should be given to prevent further complications. Presence of small brain lesions may not cause any trouble to individuals and large lesions should be treated immediately ; otherwise brain function may be altered. Some lesions are formed after strokes and brain function is disturbed as the paralysis occurs.
Symptoms of large brain lesions
- Sense of smell impaired,
- Unable to taste properly,
- Unable to balance the body,
- Hand tremors,
- Mental confusion
- some lesions causes dementia and cerebral stroke… are the some symptoms of brain lesions, which affects different functional centers in the body.
- Multiple brain lesions are found in some individuals, and these brain lesions causes sever symptoms such as mental confusion, etc.. Some mental disorders are such as organic disorders of brain may be caused by untreated brain lesions. Parenchymal brain lesions causes Cerebral sinovenous thrombosis in neonates and children.The neonates will have smaller brain lesion and elders children will have large lesions.
People who eat fish high with omega 3 fatty acids more than three times a day are at lower risk of developing silent brain lesions. Brain aging can be slow down by taking certain food stuffs in the diet. Brain damage of different origins should be avoided to prevent mental abnormalities.