Drowsiness is the strong feel to sleep in the day time, the drowsiness compels to actual sleep, at right time or at inappropriate time, when the body feels so. Drowsiness is also called as Hypersomnia or Somnolence.
Drowsiness during day, even with sufficient sleep at night indicates sleeping disorder. Drowsiness due to fatigue is of short term and is experienced rarely. Some psycho-physical symptoms such as depression, Anxiety, Stress, and boredom also leads to Drowsiness.
Drowsiness is not a serious disorder but drowsiness leads to laziness and work output is very less. Proper health maintenance with exercise and healthy food keeps away the Drowsiness.
Causes of Drowsiness
- Lack of sleep during night, and continuous working without sufficient sleep,
- Tranquilizers, hypnotics or sleeping pills, and antihistamine medications causes Drowsiness.
- Short duration sleep or lack of sleep,
- Infections such as Chronic bronchitis, infectious mononucleosis,
- Diabetes and other systemic diseases,
- Lack of exercise, laziness, less physical work,
- Excess alcohol consumption,
- Medical disorders such as Hypercalcemia, hypothyroidism, hyponatremia, etc.
- Narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and other sleep disorders.
Relieving the cause of drowsiness ,
Treat any psycho-physical disorders such as Depression, anxiety, etc to relieve Drowsiness.
If Drowsiness is due to use of some medications, consult the doctor to use any alternative drugs. Don’t stop the medications without doctor’s suggestion.
Obesity induced Drowsiness can be relieved by weight reducing.
Avoid drowsiness inducing foods during day time.
Relieve emotional stress,
Medical disorders such as hypothyroidism, hypercalcemia and hypernatremia should be treated to relieve Drowsiness.
Sufficient sleep during night helps lot relieving Drowsiness.
Treat Narcolepsy, to relieve drowsiness.
Carbon monoxide monitor is used to check the excessive carbon monoxide in the surrounding air of home environment, as excess carbon monoxide induces sleep.
When to contact Doctor
If you feel that Drowsiness is due any above causes, you can seek medical help. Some times infections and disorders with central nervous system also causes drowsiness. to check CNS abnormality CT scan, and MRI are done. Proper history collection from the drowsiness affected person, helps in finding the cause of drowsiness and treating.
Assessment such as:-
- Sleeping duration,
- how long you sleep ?
- Do you Snore while sleeping ?
- Are you obese ?
- Taking any medications ?
- Have any other chronic diseases ?
All these questions helps in Diagnosing and treating Drowsiness, a sleep disorder.