Inflammation of glomerulus of kidney or nephron is called as Glomerulonephritis. Kidney has the minute units called nephrons . Nephrons are the structural and functional units of kidney.
The glomerulus apparatus is the part of nephron, which filters the blood.
Inflammation of the glomerulus is called as Glomerulonephritis.
- Chronic glomerulonephritis and
- Acute glomerulonephritis
Chronic Glomerulonephritis :- is the gradual, progressive inflammation of glomeruli, causes Scarring, sclerosis and ultimately leads to kidney failure.
Acute Glomerulonephritis :- is of sudden onset in nature and healing is fast. Acute glomerulonephritis caused by bacterial infection. Impetigo and other skin diseases may cause Acute glomerulonephritis.
Causes of glomerulonephritis
- Bacterial infection, such as streptococcus.
- Underlying diseases,
- Throat infection,
- untreated urinary tract infection, etc..
Treatment of Glomerulonephritis
- Antibiotics are the treatment of choice for glomerulonephritis.
- Fluid and electrolyte balance, is important.
- Bed rest, supplement of low protein diet. etc..