Infection of the kidney with microorganism is called as kidney infection. Kidney infection is also called as pyelonephritis, is special type of upper urinary tract infection. The infection to kidney is passed to kidney through urethra, urinary bladder and ureter.
The main function of kidney is to purify the blood, Water absorption, maintains biochemical levels in the body and also regulates blood pressure through renin angiotensin system.
Urine is formed after filtration of blood and renal tubules helps in the absorption of different electrolytes and water. The urine formed in the kidney is passed through ureters to the urinary bladder. From urinary bladder to urine is passed out with voluntary effort through urethra.
The infected bladder provides an opportunity for micro organisms to ascend into upper urinary tract and causes kidney infection. The infected kidney leads to kidney pain. Bacteria are the common micro organisms causes kidney infection. Sever kidney infection causes pus formation and kidney pain.
Diagnosis of Kidney infection
Diagnosis of kidney infection is made by urine test. The protein urea, passing pus cells or epithelial cells in the urine, confirms the kidney infection or urinary tract infection. Antibiotics are used to treat kidney infection and analgesics to relieve kidney pain. Ultrasound scan shows any enlargement of kidney due to severe kidney infection.
Causes of kidney infection and kidney pain
The untreated lower urinary tract infection is the main cause of kidney infection. The untreated kidney infection leads to improper kidney function and even leads to kidney failure also.
- Causes of kidney pain may of different origin.
- abdominal surgeries,
- urinary cauterization,
- kidney biopsy,
- Untreated kidney infection may cause kidney pain,
- An external injury to kidney also causes kidney pain,
- Presence of kidney stones leads to kidney pain. The kidney pain may be radiating and felt in the lower back region.
Symptoms of kidney infection
- continued urge to urinate
- Burning sensation or pain while passing urine,
- lower abdominal pain
- urine is Cloudy in nature with strong odour
- Pus or red blood cells in your urine (hematuria)
- urinary retention
- nocturia, passing urine during night
- low Back pain, (kidney pain) or groin pain
- fatigue, nausea and vomiting etc..
Treatment of kidney infection and kidney pain
Treatment of kidney infection is given with antibiotics. Give plenty of water to kidney infection person. To relieve kidney pain, analgesics are administered. The kidney pain is very complicated and immediate diagnosis and treatment is needed with hospitalization.