Knee Arthritis is the form of Osteoarthritis. Knee Arthritis is also called as degenerative disease or Wear and tear arthritis.
Osteoarthritis causes the degeneration of articular cartilage of knee joint.
The lack of articular cartilage leads to bare bone, will crush each other during mobility and causes pain in the Knee joint.
Causes of Knee Arthritis
- Genetic predisposition causes knee arthritis in number of individuals.
- People aged above 50 are at risk Knee arthritis, as the aging process causes knee arthritis.
- Over weight persons or obese will get knee arthritis, because the knee joints need to bear excess weight, and the articular cartilage tears.
- Meniscus tear in the knee joint causes knee arthritis.
- Fracture or Trauma to knee joint also causes knee arthritis.
Symptoms of knee arthritis
- Stiffness of knee joint,
- Pain associated with mobility,
- Difficult knee movement,
- Increased pain while standing after prolonged sitting.
- Swelling of knee joint,
- Tenderness of knee joint,
- Sensation of knee joint may give out, are main symptoms of knee arthritis.
Treatment of knee arthritis
- Physiotherapy is the best treatment of knee arthritis.
- Exercises, especially aquatic exercises are beneficial.
- Reduction of weight is recommended for over weight persons.
- Walking aids are used to minimize the weight on knee joint.
- STEROIDS are given to reduce inflammation.
- Knee Osteotomy ,
- Knee replacement surgery..these are the treatment for knee arthritis.