Over activity of muscles due to hyperactivity of nervous impulses is called as seizures. Seizure is the mental disorder, can affect all the age group. Children are more affected with seizure. Repeated seizure attacks are called as Convulsions. Tonic clonic muscle movement is the main symptom of seizure. Seizure is studied under the neuroscience.
Causes of seizures
- Some medicines,
- Neural abnormalities,
- Family history of Epilepsy,
- high fevers,
- head injuries
- Brain disorder leads to recurring seizure because of epilepsy.
Signs and Symptoms of Seizure
- Change in body movement or function,
- Altered sensation,
- Lack of awareness,
- Behavioral changes,
- Involuntary contraction of muscles,
- Mental confusion,
- Sudden over contraction of muscles and tonic clonic seizure.
Status Epilepticus : A prolonged state of unconsciousness for a long period even for an hour is the symptom of status epilepticus type of seizure.
sudden, abnormal electrical activity in the brain causes seizure. Rapid and repeated attacks of seizures are called convulsions. All seizures are not convulsions, but all convulsions are seizures. There are different types of seizures on the nature of origin and symptoms of seizures.
Main types of seizures
- Partial seizures or Focal seizures : These type of seizures belong to a particular part of the body.
- Generalized seizures : Both sides of brain produce abnormal, excessive electrical impulses and whole body is involved.
- Usually a seizure can stay for 30 seconds to 2 minutes and doesn’t cause any harm to seizure affected individual. If a seizure lasts for more than five minutes, it becomes medical emergency and need immediate care.
Medicines are the best treatment for seizures.
- Sodium valproate,